Are you sure want to logout from the system?
Help & Information
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
U.S. Pipeline Regulations
From public safety to the rates pipelines can charge, natural gas, refined products, and crude oil pipeline in the US are highly regulated by a number of Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations. CFR Title 49, Parts 192 and 195 contain the basic public safety regulations for natural gas transmission and distribution, and oil pipelines respectively. States often enter the public safety regulatory arena through leading compliance audits and putting forward additional regulations. Employee safety, environmental and economic matters, security and land use are also highly regulated. With that said, in nearly all cases, the regulations make a lot of sense and those who work in and serve the industry do well to understand them. This class discussed the history of regulations, current regulatory regimes, and the manner in which regulations are promulgated, audited, and enforced. The key focus is on providing students and understanding and tools to further investigate this important aspect of the industry.
Students are expected to gain knowledge of the primary U. S. regulations applying to natural gas and oil pipelines, and acquire tools to explore the specific regulations in which they have interest more fully. The specific topics covered in the class include;
• Public safety regulations – OPS and states,
• Employee safety – OSHA,
• Environmental matters – EPA and state DEQs and DECs,
• Economic matters – FERC state PUCs PSCs, and local commissions,
• Security – TSA,
• Land use and permitting issues,
• An introduction to the environmental study process,
• The role of public opinion and special interest groups,
• The history and backdrop against which regulations are developed,
• How to navigate regulatory web sites to learn more.
Learners who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate of completion for 1.0 professional development hours .
This class is taught by Tom Miesner, an oil and gas pipeline veteran who spent a quarter of his career actively engaged in pipeline operations, maintenance, strategy, business development, and joint ventures. It is intended for those who want to understand the basics of U. S gas and oil pipeline regulations.
The intended audience for this class includes
• oil and gas pipeline company new employees,
• current oil and gas pipeline company employees who want to better understand the regulatory drivers of their industry,
• investment professionals who are considering investing in pipeline assets or companies,
• pipeline support personnel such as those in accounting, finance, HR, legal, supply chain, and risk management functions,
• suppliers and vendors who need to understand pipeline regulations,
• outside attorneys,
• legislatures and regulators,
is a mobile app for your phone or tablet and provides quick access to short video clips produced from RedVector’s award-winning content.
for a short demo of
With RedVector GO, you can:
Access thousands of exclusive short video clips covering a wide range of topics
Search through our industry-related categories for quick on the job reference
Bookmark your favorite video clips and create a “watch later” list
Ready to download the app?
Search RedVector GO on the App Store or Google Play Store
Log in using your RedVector username and password
is a stand-alone application and is not currently connected to the LMS. Therefore, it does not track completions of courses or fulfill continuing education requirements.